Companies offering Saica Training Contracts
Many companies in South Africa offer accountancy training programmes that will give you real-world experience and fast-track your development in the workplace. Here are 10 to consider:
- Absa: The Absa Accounting Training Programme (ATP) offers SAICA training for accounting trainees who want to qualify as Chartered Accountants (CA) (SA). Entry to the SAICA programme requires that you are studying towards a B.Com Hons / CTA or equivalent. Trainees are appointed on a fixed term training contract and every trainee will receive guidance on professional development from a dedicated personal mentor.
- Mercedes-Benz: Mercedes-Benz South Africa’s CA (SA) training programme has been running since 2008. It is a three-year rotational system of training that enables trainees to experience a good overview of the entire organisation. Applicants must be in possession of a CTA (Certificate in the Theory of Accounting), i.e. fourth-year Honours degree with subjects in Taxation, Financial Accounting, Auditing and Management Accounting or in their CTA/Honours year of study.
- MTN: MTN’s CA Programme allows applicants the chance to qualify as a CA (SA) within MTN by specialising in financial management and management decision making. The company offers a three-year rotational system of training that enables trainees to experience a good overview of the entire organisation. The programme is open to applicants who have completed a BComAcc (Hons)/CTA degree. Those who are in the final year of BComAcc (Hons) /CTA may also submit applications, which must be received prior to the closing date of 31 May. Successful applicants will be made offers to commence training in February of the following year.
- Nedbank: The Nedbank CA Training Programme has trained over 150 chartered accountants. The three-year programme is open to those in their final year of study for a Certificate in Theory of Accounting (CTA) Honours or a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting (PGDA). Trainees focus primarily on financial management and management decision making and control elective skills (comprehensive understanding), with audit- and tax-related topics falling under residual skills (general understanding).
- PwC: PwC offers a five-year training programme aimed at people who have finished Matric and are looking for an opportunity to work and study at the same time. Applicants must have a minimum of Level 7 or 6 in Mathematics and/or Accounting and a minimum of Level 5 for all other subjects. Applications for this programme open in August and close in October of each year. The company also offers opportunities for people who are busy with their accounting studies or have already completed them to serve their articles.
- Sasol: The Sasol CA Development Programme is run in partnership with KPMG. The partnership affords Sasol bursars the opportunity to complete their CA Development Programme within the professional services firm, after which the trainees will be appointed at Sasol (dependent on opportunities available at the time). To be considered as a prospective CA candidate at KPMG, the applicant is expected to have successfully completed their B.Com Honours and CTA. The three-year programme includes rotation opportunities at Sasol, site and office visits as part of orientation sessions, as well as mentorship and coaching provided by a trained, Sasol CA (SA).
- Standard Bank: Applicants accepted into the Standard Bank CA (SA) Training Programme have the opportunity to explore various divisions in the bank to establish which area of specialisation they would like to follow after completion of their articles. Candidates must have completed be in the process of completing the SAICA-accredited Certificate in the Theory of Accounting (CTA), HNS in Accounting, GDA or equivalent. CA (SA) applications are open until 31 July 2016. Applicants must be citizens of South Africa.
- Transnet: The Transnet CA Training (CAT) Programme is a three-year learnership programme for candidates who have a Certificate in the Theory of Accounting (CTA) / B Com Hons or equivalent. Trainees will be rotated to the Transnet head office and several business units. The minimum entry requirement is the Certificate in Theory of Accounting (CTA) and each applicant must also demonstrate consistent progress in their accountancy studies, strong verbal communication skills, and analytical ability. Trainees are assigned mentors from the CAs within the Transnet Group.