Learn How to Become Air Conditioning Mechanic in South Africa
About Air Conditioning Mechanic career
- Do you like working with machines?
- Are you strong and well coordinated?
- Are you self-reliant?
- Do you enjoy dealing with customers?
- Are you good at problem solving?
- Do you crave variety on the job?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then a career as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic could be right for you.
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics install, maintain, repair and overhaul residential central air conditioning systems, commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and combined heating, ventilation and cooling systems.
They are employed by installation contractors, construction companies, food wholesalers, engineering firms and service establishments.
Duties of an Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Installing, troubleshooting and overhauling entire heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Measuring refrigeration or air conditioning components for installation
- Working with hand and power tools to install refrigeration or air conditioning components
- Measuring and cutting piping, and connecting piping using welding equipment
- Testing heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems for leaks
- Performing routine maintenance
- Repairing and replacing components for entire heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Installing, maintaining and repairing equipment in refrigerated trucks
- Preparing work estimates
- Reading and interpreting blueprints
Work Conditions of an Air Conditioning Mechanic
As a Refrigeration/Air Conditioning Mechanic, your work conditions may vary from one project to another. You may work indoors or outdoors, alone or with a team of construction professionals.
As with all careers in the construction industry, safety is the top priority. Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics are trained to work safely and wear special equipment to protect against injury.